Life Style

Carolyn Hax: Resources for getting help

I’ve been writing this column since 1997. The following are sources of help that I often recommend to readers. If you would like to suggest others, please write to me at

988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline: Call or text 988

(Always exercise due diligence in selecting caregivers.)

· Ask your primary care physician to refer you to someone.

· Call your health insurance carrier or visit them online to get a list of in-network providers.

· See if your employer offers an Employee Assistance Program.

· Use Open Path Collective, a national nonprofit network of therapists providing sessions at reduced rates.

· Search the listings on Psychology Today.

· If you or family members have a school affiliation, ask whether its counseling service is available to you or maintains a list of recommended providers of mental health care.

· Inquire at your religious organization, if appropriate — many faith leaders have counseling credentials.

· Contact a local college or university that confers degrees in counseling fields; many have clinics to train their students.

· If you have a specific difficulty, such as grief, addiction, a major illness in the family, debt, etc., there may be a topic-specific support group. SAMHSA’s National Helpline, 1-800-662-HELP (4357) (also known as the Treatment Referral Routing Service), or TTY: 1-800-487-4889 is a confidential, free, 24-hour-a-day, 365-day-a-year information service in English and Spanish for individuals and family members facing mental and/or substance use disorders. This service provides referrals to local treatment facilities, support groups and community-based organizations.

National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)

Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)

MOSAIC Threat Assessment Systems

National Alliance on Mental Illness: The NAMI HelpLine, available Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Eastern time: 1-800-950-NAMI (6264) or

National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration

Adult Children of Alcoholics/ Dysfunctional Families

The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, Inc. (NCADD)

Childhelp: 1-800-4-A-CHILD (422-4453)

For young people, the Trevor Project: 1-866-488-7386

For all, It Gets Better Project

National Foundation for Credit Counseling

National Council on Problem Gambling

Parent Encouragement Program

Share Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support, Inc.

RESOLVE, the National Infertility Association

The National Eating Disorders Association

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Programs are offered at the state level as well, so check your state’s website or call the office of your state attorney general.

Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement (APLB)

This list has been updated.

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button